I decided to embark upon my first Trader Joes shopping trip with both girls.
All went well on the 35 min. trip up. Brielle napped and Rhya sang various songs.
All went well for the first 7/8ths of the shopping trip. Rhya helped me shop and Brielle sacked out in the Baby K'tan carrier.
As we were pondering over the cereal in the LAST isle, Brielle decided that she needed some of this NOW:
I couldn't just stop and feed her in the middle of the store, so we endured the screams and waited in the checkout line. It seemed that we were being watched by many eyes. A few people said, "I understand, I've been there!" Rhya hopped over to the chocolate stand and handed the checkout lady her chosen chocolate bar. I was so distracted I didn't hardly notice or care. Besides, who can turn down chocolate?
When asked if I needed help out, I was too embarrassed (or proud) to accept, so Rhya followed along like a perfect puppy while I struggled with a screaming baby and 135 dollars worth of a loaded cart.
As we were going out the door a nice upper middle aged employee with tortoise shell glasses said, "Let me assist you!" I gladly handed over the load. Ten feet later Rhya face planted into the sidewalk. She hopped back up but had a horrible look on her face. She would NOT let herself cry in front of the man. Her lip was quivering and her eyes were welling up with tears but she just silently stood by the car with slumped shoulders while I was transferring Sakari to the front seat (why did we take her, anyway? Oh yeah, Rhya couldn't bear to leave her behind)....and juggling the screaming 5 week old.
Rhya held out until she thought that the man was gone. Then intense wails filled the air. She became inconsolable. I plopped her in the passenger seat, peeled an orange and gave her a few slices. They just ended up in a big slobbery mess. She had snot running into her mouth, strings of slobber landing on her shirt, and strands of hair plastered to her tear sopped face.
Meanwhile, Brielle was still declaring her hunger. It seemed as though she was competing for the highest volume. As I was sitting in the driver's seat, wondering what to do next, and starting to get the goods out for Brielle, I saw the man approaching us again. He leaned down and looked Rhya in the eyes and said, "I know that your knee hurts, so maybe this will help." He handed her a beautiful pot of daffodils. She couldn't stop her wailing so he said, "Well, maybe your Mommy would like this right now", and looked at me with understanding eyes as he set the pot on the floor of the car. I thanked him and he smiled and walked back to the store.
It was rather difficult to console the poor girl while feeding Brielle, so she wailed and wailed with the car door WIDE open. The looks continued in our direction.
I abandoned all thought of stopping by Target and Goodwill and zoomed toward home. Meanwhile, both kids continued the cry fest...Kayla was kind enough to jabber to me via phone to provide some distraction from the situation.
Rhya finally got over her traumatic episode once we got home. We were able to look at her owie and decide that it wasn't that bad after all. We were able to admire the pretty yellow daffodils and even take a picture!
We were able to discuss how nice and generous the man was for giving us flowers. I am glad she was privileged enough to be on the receiving end of such a nice gesture. I am hoping that it was a mini life lesson for my little tyke....when we see someone in need, do what we can!!
Looking back on this li'l experience, it wasn't even that big of a deal- just stressful at the moment. However, it was a reminder to me that LITTLE gestures go a long way!
BTW- I never got that chocolate bar. It must've fallen when Rhya did... hopefully someone else could enjoy it!
Very precious story! Sorry you had to go through the stress...but, yes, us other mothers DO understand! Love you all! :)
ReplyDeleteAwwwww! Thanks for sharing! Oh boy do us mommys understand :) Wow, I remember a many stressful outings like that! However, made it through all of them and now my lil babies are BIG girls! :*( So enjoy it all even the craziness, cuz they get big way to fast!
ReplyDeleteOh my--now I know the full story behind that cute picture text of Rhya and her flowers! Sounds like you earned another badge for your Mommy sash :-)
ReplyDelete