Thursday, June 2, 2011

Catching Up- LONG POST

I must get a 'last week' post completed before the next weekend comes and goes!!

The daycare kids were only here for Mon-Wed last week, so we had a welcome break!

Thurs. was spend erranding in Hudson and Friday was spent tasking at home!

We had made plans with Aaron 'n Amie to go camping at Mom 'n Dad's all weekend, so despite the drizzle and muck, we packed the Fit plum full and headed on out.

The weather prevented us from setting up our tent so the bed upstairs accompanied us for the night. Aaron 'n Amie braved the weather, though!

Sat. morning welcome breakfast burritos in the woods. Amie and I then hopped on the horses and relived the good ole riding days for quite some time! We explored every last trail on the farm, PLUS some! The horses were very accommodating and humored us as we urged them through non-trail areas of briers, logs, and tight trees. We just CLICK when it comes to riding- thanks for the fun, Amie!!

We tossed around the canoeing idea for a good half hour before deciding the the down pouring rain was a sign of giving up the idea. A trip to Red Wing to feed Mike 'n Kristina's chickens while they were gone as well as a visit to DQ completed our fun day.

Sidenote: Mom 'n Dad took Rhya with them on their graduation outing for the day!! It was the first time I've been away from her for that long since I quit work.

We slept/laid in the tent Sat. night. Rhya slept in the middle of our queen air mattress. At least SHE got a good sleep! Every time Nate or I would wiggle she'd voice her displeasure. The air mattress was kinda low on air, so it gave her a good ride every time we'd move. :-)

We chose pancakes for breakfast on Sunday morning. Aaron and Nate were the cooks. YUM. Off to Charlotte's for morning meeting, then back to Mom 'n Dad's since there was no gospel meeting.

Mom put on a wonderful lunch in honor of Aaron and Amie's FIRST ANNIVERSARY!! We felt honored to spend their special day with them....can't believe it's been a whole year!

We all (including Travis) loaded up our canoes and kayaks and took off for a Kinni River adventure. It never ceases to be anything less than an adventure. Amie and I did the car juggling and then we took off. The river was higher and faster than normal as a result of the recent rains. The rapids resulted in wet kayakers and a canoe that wanted to flop around.
At one point Nate and my canoe got stuck on a rock in some fast rapids. The whole canoe spun sideways, and the force of the water jerked it upside down. I jumped out and landed on my feet. Nate wasn't so lucky. I looked over to see him on his back, flailing his arms and legs. He got a bruised knee, back and hand out of the deal. He claims that he didn't know I was bailing so soon, and he was trying to keep the canoe from landing on him. I maintain that I was quicker than him. haha. :-) Anyway, good thing that everyone else was ahead of us because they retrieved our paddles and goodies that were taking self guided tours.
Despite the excitement and Aaron's frequent attempts to take the scenic route through various waterways, we reached our destination in record time! Nate said, "Where did you put the keys, Darla?" Amie and I looked at each other with panicked eyes and started laughing to hard we couldn't talk. When Amie had locked her phone and wallet in the trunk of her car, I shoved my keys in their also 'so they'd be safe'. We NEVER thought of the fact that her car was at the beginning!! HOW DUMB. The husbands were LESS than impressed.
Thank goodness that Amie's parents live only a mile away, so Amie and I trucked our soggy selves up the steep hill, hopped in her parents' car, and retrieved keys. Insane.
We treated ourselves to pizza at 9pm and slept in the house. :-) Except for the Fonders. They're serious campers. They braved the thunderstorms. Hope they had a grand anniversary!!

Amie and I squeezed one last horse ride in Monday morning. Aaron treated us to kabobs at 11am in the woods, and then we parted ways. Aaron 'n Amie left for home to air out their rain washed camping garb, and the rest of us headed off for Mitch and Collette's graduation party.

Woops, good thing Rhya just woke up cause this was getting long. Sorry for the excessive details, but some things are just not worthy of forgetting.

Now off to get ready for a shower of a very special sister in law and her unborn baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment