Monday, March 21, 2011

Socialization

Ever since Rhya was little I've felt a little guilty about not 'socializing' her in a more fulfilling manner. Man, sometimes a whole 5 days would go by and the only other ppl she'd ever see were the adults in our bible study! 

We've been doing MUCH better at that lately, though:

Thurs: Daycare kids here for 10 hours
Sat: Visited Cory in the Oshkosh prison
Sun: AM mtg at Charlotte's, pm mtg in Oakdale, supper w' Bill 'n Shanda, Kylie 'n Karena!
Mon: Playdate at Amanda and Kylie's (oops, no pictures for ANY of it!)
Tues: Mom's group playdate in Cottage Grove at 9:30 (our first one and I don't know a soul- ack!), daycare kids here for 5 hours after that

I'm definitely NOT saying that the only reason I do stuff is for socialization for my daughter...it's just been on my mind. 

On the other hand, we heard at Hermosa about not doing EVERYTHING just for our children. They need to know that the world doesn't revolve around them. 

On another hand, one of the challenges of a stay at home mom is to remember that there is an existing world beyond the tiny box of homemakerism. I  need to think outside the box and remember and think about life beyond my little world....and then I can maybe-hopefully-strive to raise my child in a well rounded manner.

Speaking of well rounded, does anyone else (besides yours truly) work out just so they can pig out later?
Excuse the random thought. 

G'night

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts! It seems like socialization is always in the best interest of children. The more they get out and explore the world, they more they realize that they are not the center of the world and it does not revolve around them.

    Not sure I totally agree with the quote about not doing everything just for our children. Maybe I'm just interpreting it wrong, but I think doing things in a child's best interest (to cultivate responsibility, teach empathy, etc.) should always be an okay goal. It's not that you're giving in to their every wish and want (in fact, what you do in their best interest may NOT be what they want!) But I think as a parent it's right to consider their wellbeing in every decision that's made.

    Don't let people convince you that just because you're considering Rhya in the decisions you make means you're revolving your life around her or spoiling her!

    I didn't mean to get out my soapbox...but your quote was interesting and made me think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep totally agree w/Kristina! Man all my decisions are made based on the girls! Just because I realize they are such a responsibly of mine! Often i struggle w/forgetting myself because I am always putting them 1st! But I guess its an ok thing! I would feel horrible being a selfish Mom! Once u become a mother you realize that every little thing you do & say has to be considered! Kylie has always been one I need to be careful of she questions so much so I am always thinking, considering...have to be one step ahead of her!

    Darla and yes I agree w/ur getting out of our mommybox! My word, we are saved from so much by being home and being able to save our kids from so much that is horrible out there! But yet @ some point they have to see it all!! So its hard to know when & where to start bits of it so they arent having a culture shock later on! Kylie & Karena watched Finding Nemo the other day and they were SCARED to death...never seen a movie b4 and when the mommy dead they were terrified! Yes, so thankful that watching even cartoons isnt natural for them! But scary that once out in school they will be seeing stuff like this and Im not going to be there to comfort them! I was literally holding them both, they were so upset! ahh what we are saved from, wish it could stay away forever tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the thoughts..

    I better clarify what he meant when he was talking about not doing everything just for the kids...

    He mainly meant for their enjoyment. Sometimes kids don't 'enjoy' activities (like going to a boring house or something that wouldn't be 'fun' in their eyes). I remember that I used to groan inside when we'd stop at the nursing home to visit elderly people, cause it was usually boring. However, I'm glad that Mom 'n Dad took us there, because it taught us about life and living for others.

    Ahh, poor girls being scared of Finding Nemo! It's crazy how much garbage there is out their in kids movies. They'll probably be covering their eyes most of the time when they have to watch movies at school! I would, too!

    ReplyDelete