Rhya's been sick. Like sudden puking episodes on the lightrail and on the down comforter sick. I actually helped her reach the garbage can w' an oral output yesterday. It was almost a reason for celebration besides the fact that the poor peanut was bewildered and pale faced and weepy.
Sick equals crabby. We spent a lot of time under the down comforter (a different one) yesterday reading books and attempting to munch on Puffins and sip on Pedialite.
Here's the story that cracks me up every time I think about it. Background: We usually let Rhya feed Sakari her dog food. She carries the bowl across the kitchen and plunks it down next to the garbage can. Sakari follows her inch by inch the entire way, and Rhya says, "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT" the entire journey over.
Yesterday, as we were lazing around on the couch, we started feeding each other white corn chips. Rhya took one, held it up to my mouth, and declared, "WAIT, Waaaaait." I busted out laughing and so did she. It was SO FUNNY coming from a somber, 'nothing is funny right now' spirit.
One thing I've learned (and not just from having a sick kid)- IT PAYS TO BE JOLLY around kids! It's so easy to let negative attitudes destroy my own, but if I look past it and go on my jolly way the kids pick up on it. Easier said than done (Nate is way less affected by me: definitely an even keel kind of guy), but it makes my heart sing when they forget about their ailments and pick up on the optimism.
Speaking of singing, Rhya has been humming 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' lately. It is so stinkin' cute.
Poor little thing...hope she feels better soon! Did your sickness ever amount to anything?
ReplyDeleteFunny about the corn chips! We'd all be better off if we learned how to better wait for food :-)