Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Letting Go but Clinging On

I cannot fathom the thought of letting Gma go. She has always been there. Attended every single little childhood concert and recital. Took us birthday shopping every year as kids. Treated us like queens when we would visit. Mended any item she saw necessary (and was not afraid of projects that many people would balk at!!). Visited both of our girls the day they were born. Brought bread and jam and all sorts of goodies a few weeks after we were home with our newborns.

Steady. Not fazed by a thing.
Grounded. Faithful to her god.
Oh so kind. She loves striking up a conversation with anyone she comes in contact with. Every person she talks to can feel completely comfortable in her presence.
Oh so generous. She knows exactly what everyone needs and finds great joy in presenting them with her secondhand finds.
Just last week she presented the girls with a wooden puzzle and 2 small chairs. She called that morning, wondering if she and Gpa could come down after supper to see our new place. I will always remember that enjoyable evening..just an evening of chatting about this and that. It didn't really matter what we talked about. It was just fun to be together.She didn't eat much of the snack but just made a side comment that her digestive system wasn't working as well as it used to.
Fast forward one week. Pancreatic Cancer. The big 'C' word. 6-12 months left. She calmly took it in stride and is glad for the good 75 years she has had.

Can I soak up these last months with her to the max? Memories come flooding back. I intend to write them down and share them with her whenever we see her.
I feel so lucky to have a grandma that has created such a halo of happiness throughout her family. She has so much to look forward to.


1 comment:

  1. Yes. This is all so true and explains Grandma to a tee. How can we possibly accept news like this? And yet we must. Her example taught us how to take things calmly and in stride, always aware of the bigger picture.

    In the few short days since hearing the news, I too thought of many of the same memories you mentioned. And also just the homeyness of their home--a calm haven for so many. How many tens of people do you think know where that little porch key is hidden?!

    I like your idea of writing down our memories now instead of later. She will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete